Sunday, August 5, 2012

Living without WHAT!?

So.... I tried everyone. I did. I tried to get my kids to have fun and to do fun things every day but they revolted! They wouldn't do it and would whine and complain and be terrible the whole time. WHY!? A friend of mind made comment that maybe they are just used to me doing fun things. WHAT?! I totally understand though. My kids get bored with me playing the piano and dancing around the house.....does yours? Maybe I need to tone it down so my kids appreciate my FUNNESS....yes. I totally just made that up. So I guess for now, that list has become sort of a Summer Bucket List. I will throw out a few things that I wasn't TOTALLY looking forward to, but we will see. We just did Mind Jars and that went over well.... I will have to post about that soon.

Meanwhile, my Honey and I have come to a complete realization.....we have way too much stuff. AGH! This is nothing new people. I knew I had too much stuff and my friends all know I have too much stuff! That's just me, right? Wrong! We have decided that the stress and clutter and all that comes with it does not belong in our home.... or in our lives for that matter.

Doctrine and Covenants 88:119 (from the Doctrine and Covenants a part of the Book of Mormon)
"Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God"

We couldn't do it. We couldn't get ahead of the kids. I felt like I am constantly cleaning only to be left with a mess at the end of the day. Our kitchen was COVERED in dirty dishes.....

I don't think you believe me.....well, I'll show you just what our house looked like. Now, these are REAL photos....don't judge.
Doesn't it look like I set this room up to take a picture for the next I SPY book?
Those are clean dishes.....I know amazing....but still out on the table.
A whole lotta crap on the counter!
Lovely huh?
Um... I have no words.
The OTHER side of the room.
The front room.
The toy box.....for downstairs.
Dress up clothes.
Junk...why?
The hallway upstairs....you know, the one we "cleaned out."
Our bedroom

 Now looking at these pictures you are probably thinking... what a terrible mom? I know! I feel like it! I feel like a terrible wife and mother. I feel like I can't take care of my home like I am supposed to. But now? Looking at it with new eyes and a new mindset...no wonder. We have way more stuff than our family needs. So? We are going to adopt a "Minimalistic" mindset. Of course this could take years, but we are off to a good start and my Honey and I are BOTH resolved.....which will mean more in the long run. So for now, we purge and we purge. I have small fleeting moments when I would love to go shopping, but I must change.

I must change so my children will know what a clean home feels like.
I must change so my children will know HOW to clean.
I must change so we can save money instead of buying things I don't need.
I must change so that we can afford the things we DO.
I must change so we can afford to give our family more experiences.
I must change so I feel better about my role as a wife and mother.

Change will make us all happier. We know this to be inspired revelation to our family and I hope you feel inspired to do what fits YOUR family best!

For now....feed the URGE to PURGE! lol

4 comments:

  1. I just love you Trisha. Always have and always will. Thank you for being an inspiration to so many of us that are in the same boat as you. I will do better too.

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trisha remember when you speak to yourself or others that your house may be cluttered or have a lot of things in it but that doesn't mean it is DIRTY. All of us have our own stlye of housekeeping. I admire you that you don't let the small things stress you out like some of us do. Yes we should all be orderly and organized but again we all have different systems of organizing too. If we could all find that happy medium...moderation in all we do. Looks like you are on your way to that and good for you. I wish you luck and if you need any help let me know. (Not that I have found that happy medium either but you can put me to work!)

    MJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you're terrible at all... my house has its moments too.. I think ALL our houses have moments... but I LOVE what you said at the end about what works best for each family and household.. it is SO TRUE!

    I love purging.. sometimes there is NOTHING BETTER :) That is why I love to move... lol... hello D.I. :)

    Glad I found you :)

    Jacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wanted to tell you that I used to have this same issue. I still let it creep in more than I should (and my mother does not help!), but I can say that it has only become easier for me to go shopping and come home with nothing. And easier to just get rid of stuff I know I really don't need because I've learned that even if I think I will miss it terribly, I never do.

    Moving across country a couple of times has also helped. :) As the saying goes, "Three moves is as good as a fire."

    Anyway, it feels SO good when things can stay clean because there isn't too much crap. And that reminds me how I can't wait to go through the toys once school starts. Hooray for decluttering!

    ReplyDelete